MVMA 2012 Legislative Agenda
Level One Priorities:
1. Strongly recommend that the MN state legislature should work in a bipartisan manner to benefit the citizens of Minnesota
2. Support the Position Statement of the MVMA on regulation of dog and cat breeders. Recommend that a MVMA task force be established to review the position statement, and propose legislative action
3. Support the continued independent status of the MN Board of Animal Health and the MN Board of Veterinary Medicine
4. Support MN Board of Animal Health and Department of Health proposal for statewide mandatory rabies vaccination for dogs, and other important initiatives
5. Oppose relaxation of MN Department of Ag regulations of raw milk
Level Two Priorities:
6. Support University of Minnesota's College of Veterinary Medicine and its future requests at the Legislature.
7. Support Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and its future requests at the Legislature
8. Monitor legislative activity regarding scope of practice issues
9. Advance MVMA and MAVT joint efforts to allow Veterinary Technicians to be included in the Veterinary Practice Act
10. Monitor legislation and participate in discussions with other stakeholders in regard to proposed "Breeder Bills".
11. Support further discussions with individuals or entities with regard to spay/neuter programs in Minnesota.
12. Support state funding renewal request for the Minnesota veterinary student loan forgiveness program.
13. Support the budget requests of the Board of Animal Health and of the Board of Veterinary Medicine.
14. Support legislation that provides financial support for research, education and outreach initiatives surrounding animal health.
15. Support Minnesota Animal Agriculture.
Breeder Bill Position Statement