Minnesota Veterinary Technician Certification 

Veterinary Technician Certification Requirements (new technicians)

To become a Certified Veterinary Technician in Minnesota candidates must submit an Application for Minnesota Certification, be a graduate of an AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology program, and have a passing score on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE). There is a $60.00 Application fee.

  • Note: VTNE Scores are considered “Active” for 2 years after the exam pass date – applicants must apply for certification within the 2 year period. Applications received after 2 years are subject to additional requirements.

Passing the VTNE does not automatically grant you certification in the state of MN, an application is required.

Have you met all the requirements for certification? Apply now.

101 Bridgepoint Way, Ste 100
South St. Paul, MN 55075
  • Not yet a graduate of an AVMA accredited Program?
  • Are you looking for more information about the VTNE?

Transferring Credentials from Another State

If you are currently certified in another state and are seeking certification in Minnesota, the following information must be received by the MVMA office.

  • Application, including application fee
  • Copy of diploma or official transcript from an AVMA accredited program
  • VTNE score
    • To request a score transfer from the AAVSB, visit www.aavsb.org
  • Letter of good standing from the state(s) in which you are currently certified:
    • Credentials must be current in order to transfer.  If credential in not current, see requirements above for new technicians. 
    • Please contact the organization that currently handles your credentials and request a letter be sent to the MVMA at 101 Bridgepoint Way, Ste 100, South St. Paul, MN 55075.
Download form to mail
101 Bridgepoint Way, Ste 100
South St. Paul, MN 55075

Transferring to another State?

To request a verification letter please email us mariaN@mvma.org. Information needed: your name, a phone number you can be reached in case of questions, and the state and address to which you would like the verification sent.

For other details about a state's specific requirements, please contact the credentialing body in that state for more information.

 If you are a MN certified technician looking for MN certification renewal information, please click here.